Sunday, January 6, 2013

All Joy

Last year I committed to join a number of my friends in memorizing the book of Acts. I never finished, due to conflicting time schedules and the need to reorder my priorities once I got to Thailand. However, I learned a lot about the power of God to help me cement His words in my mind. It was an incredible experience. (For the record, I still plan to finish the book of Acts! However, the review schedule is too much for me to handle at the moment.)

This year, since I've laid aside the Acts Challenge, I've been feeling a lack. I need to memorize, but motivation has been absent. Then came an invitation in my inbox: "James: Before Men and Angels". Just what I needed. :) Something short and sweet, but power-packed. So this morning I've started.

"My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience." ~James 1:2-3

All joy.

Not 5% joy, 95% grief.
Not 95% joy, 5% grief.
100% joy!

100% joy? How can it possibly be?

The key is how you count. :) He's not saying the temptations will be enjoyable experiences. He's not saying you will feel like being joyful. He says count it all joy. Heavenly math. :) In the heavenly math books, 5% joy can equal 100% joy. How? Simply this: Stop counting when you reach the end of your blessings list. Don't count the negatives.

A new twist on a familiar verse. I love it. :)

Father, teach me how to count, so that my joy may be full.

No comments:

Post a Comment